Take Control for a Healthier Lunch!
Portion control and better food choices are key to a healthier lunch!
It is a well-known fact that healthier eating requires better food choice, balance and portion control.
Eating smaller, reasonable portions rather than over eating allows your lunch to energize and invigorate you instead of make you sluggish and sleepy.
LunchBlox™ is a great way to pack the correct portions for a healthier lunch. The snack and side containers are 1/2 and 1 cup respectively. They have easy-to-read measurements on the sides so that you know precisely what portion or serving size you are packing. Packing the correct portions and serving sizes is instrumental in making the rest of your day more productive. Plus, all the containers work together so that you can add on to create exactly what you need for a healthier lunch.
What’s in a healthy lunch?
Portion control is just one way to start taking control for a healthier lunch. What you pack and how it is balanced is important. Here are some healthy tips and options to keep in mind when packing a yummy and healthy lunch.
1. When grilling or roasting fish, poultry or meat for dinner, make some extra for tomorrow’s lunch. Some great meat options for lunch include roast beef, roasted sliced turkey, grilled chicken and cooked shrimp. Or broil, grill, or boil a skinless, boneless chicken breast in the evening and cool it in the refrigerator overnight. The next morning, it will be easy to handle when you're making your lunch. Pack some lean or low-fat protein, along with carbohydrate, to keep your body fueled and full until dinner. Using the LunchBlox snack container, you can toss in a ½ cup of almonds to keep your body energized! The best choices for energizing foods are ones that are rich in carbohydrates. Put these foods together along with low fat protein and high fiber foods for energy throughout the day.
2. If you are a sandwich lover, choose whole grain breads, wraps and pitas. In fact, the LunchBlox sandwich kit fits most specialty breads! Fill your whole-wheat sandwich with tuna or lean meats. Add assorted greens like cucumbers, sprout, onion and tomatoes to kick up the flavor of your sandwich. One of the easiest ways to give your sandwich a gourmet boost is to use an upscale cheese such as gruyere, brie, garlic jack or havarti. Use the smaller LunchBlox containers to keep the flavorful add-ons crisp and fresh until lunchtime when you add them to your sandwich.
3. If you are a salad lover, the LunchBlox salad kit is one full serving size for an entrée salad. It comes with a removable toppings tray to keep tomatoes, cucumbers, etc., separated, fresh, and crisp until you add at lunchtime. It also has a separate dressing container so you do not have to add this to your salad until you are ready to eat. Main dish salads are great for lunch -- cool, light and quick to fix. Salad greens are the base ingredient so it’s easy: just open a bag of salad greens or spinach leaves and pour into the LunchBlox salad kit. When you are ready to eat, throw in the rest of the ingredients and toss. Convenient add-ins include reduced-fat cheese or crumbled blue cheese, grilled chicken, cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, dried cranberries, walnuts, etc.
4. And, if you are still hungry, pair your portion-controlled items with a piece of fruit, which takes longer to eat and digest. The LunchBlox side containers are perfect for this! To move lunch and snack time in a healthful direction, choose foods with higher amounts of the nutrients you need: fiber, protein, calcium and vitamin C. Avoid foods loaded with things you need to eat less of: saturated fat, sodium and added sugar.
5. Drinking a glass of water prior to your lunch and eating more slowly help prevent overeating and maintain portion control. To help keep you away from the sodas and coffee (which can dehydrate you and help make you hungrier) be sure you always have water on hand which is easy to do with the Rubbermaid Hydration Bottles.
Getting into the habit of controlling your portion sizes is not as hard as you might think. It all comes down to finding ways to cut calories while continuing to eat the foods you enjoy. So try these five ways to cut back on super-sized servings and pare down your portions.